Features of Aadhaar Card
- Uniqueness: It is unique in itself for every individual since it is based on the demographic & biometric authentication.
- Portability: It provides and individual with the facility of nationwide portability since it can be authenticated online.
- Scalable Technology Architecture: A centralized data storage mechanism is provided & authentication can be done online from anywhere in the country.
- Unique Number: It is a random number based on the demographic along with the biometric attributes of an individual. It does not even record the caste, religion, income, etc. of an individual
- Offline Verification: The process of Offline verification will be such as specified by the UIDAI by regulations.
- Penalties: UIDAI may initiate penalties against an entity for failure to (i) comply with the rules/regulations in the act or UIDAI directions (ii) furnish information required. Penalties can range up to one crore.
Benefits of Aadhaar Card
For Government: A lot of social welfare schemes are in place focused on the socially backward classes/vulnerable sections to uplift them. By using Aadhaar card as a medium to identify these people will certainly improve the service delivery system & it will also reduce the burden on the exchequer.
For Individuals: Provides a single source of identity verification throughout the country in offline/online mode. Once an individual has an aadhaar card, they can use it to verify their identity multiple times
Eligibility For Aadhaar Card
- Resident of India
- Children below 5 years – Baal aadhaar card
- NRI/Foreigners staying for more than 12 years in India
Documents Required For Aadhaar Card Enrolment
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/ Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
Enrolment Process For Aadhaar Card
- Free of cost enrolment.
- Aadhaar Card Enrolment Centre: visit your nearest authorized Aadhaar enrolment center with your identity & address proof.
- Documents required for the address & identity proof are mentioned above
- In case you do not have any of the above-mentioned photo ID proof then a certificate of Photo Identity issued by a gazetted officer will be acceptable as POI/POA.
- Even if anyone does not have a valid document, he/she can still enrol if his/her name exists in the family entitlement document.
- Even if there are no documents available for the same, then the resident may take the help of introducers available at the aadhaar card enrolment centre.